Moist and rich chocolate deliciousness. Dark chocolate gives this torte a luxurious taste fit to quash even intense chocolate cravings.
Chocolate and Coffee Torte
200g Unsalted butter
200g 75%+ Dark Chocolate
3 tbsp of filter coffee
75g soft brown sugar
75g caster sugar
50g plain flour
50g ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Simmer the chocolate, butter and coffee in a bowl over hot water. Allow the steam to melt the contents and stir to combine the coffee and chocolate which will appear to separate. Don’t allow the mixture to become too hot.
2. Separate the eggs and whisk the brown sugar into the yolks until creamy and light in colour. Combine the caster sugar into the whites in a clean bowl by beating until they make soft peaks.
3. Add the slightly cooled chocolate mixture into the egg yolks and fold to maintain the air in the mixture. Add the sifted flour and ground almonds and combine thoroughly.
4. Take the egg white mixture and fold this in carefully until completely combined. You do not want any white lumps left over in the chocolate mix. Pour into a lined cake 18cm tin. Bake until a skewer comes out almost clean for around 40 mins. If you like a gooey texture then check after 35mins.
5. Serve dusted with cocoa and with a raspberry coulis or whipped cream.