So last week, I scoured the Internet and pieced together this low carb, coconut flour crust recipe based around a few different recipe ideas. The cardamon really comes through and makes up for the lack of sugar. This really has interesting flavour and a satisfying taste!
Coconut Flour Crust, Blueberry and Cardamon Tart
Ingredients make one large, or two small tarts. Serves about 8.
55g (1/2 cup) coconut flour
55g (1/2 cup) almond flour
60ml (1/4 cup) coconut oil or 55g butter
pinch of salt
700ml (3.5 cups) frozen blueberries
zest and juice of one lemon
1 tbsp plain flour
1tsp ground cardamon (make sure you grind seeds well to avoid big scented lumps)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp butter
2 tbsp honey
1tbsp molasses sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Mix the flour and salt, add the honey and then gradually combine with the whisked eggs and melted coconut oil or butter.
3. Roll out the dough between two pieces of baking paper. It may crack in places as you lift it off the floured board, but this is because coconut flour absorbs more moisture that ordinary flour. Line the greased baking tin with the pastry and mend any tears.
4. Pierce the base with a fork and bake for 12 mins and then allow to cool.
5. While this is cooking, combine the filling ingredients in a pan and simmer for around 15-20 minutes or until you are certain all the berries are warmed through.
6. Combine the berry mixture with the tart case and cool in the fridge for one hour.
7. Serve with cream or ice cream or on it's own!