Robin Hoods Bay - Chocolate Box of Memories

Robin Hoods Bay

Rarely do you find a place that holds so many wonderful memories, other than the house you were brought up in. Robin Hoods Bay however is like a memory playground for me. Every corner holds comical nostalgia. When I was a child, we owned the white cottage which looks over the sea wall. It has a very narrow gable end which widens as you head down the hill to the bay and has lots of character with higgledy piggledy windows. The back of the cottage looks out over the sea and the sight of it always reminds me of my weetabix t-shirt. I have an old photograph of me sat on the backdoor step ironically eating weetabix. Unfortunately, my younger sister Victoria did the same thing a few years later (minus weetabix t-shirt) and had her breakfast stolen from her hand by a particularly cheeky seagull. I also remember walking to the old fashioned sweet shop 'Dollies' I think then it was owned by three elderly ladies. I always thought me and my sisters could take over one day. I would savor my bag of rhubarb, apple and custard sweets over the week we stayed. Our arrival down the hill in the car would always be precluded by a round of ''She'll be coming round the mountain" and my dad challenging who could see the sea first!

Georgian House, Robin Hoods Bay.

 This time, the visit was made more special as I could share it with Tom and his brother Declan. Tom has joined me on a day trip to the old place once before, but we were well due another turn about and it was nice to spend some time with Dec too. It is a very peaceful place and for somewhere hilly, it is even worth a trip if you are on crutches!

Tom and Dec -Bros on RHB beach
 Before lunch we had a little stroll along the beach; looking in rock pools, picking up shells and commenting on strange seaweed, then back onto New Road to look around and find out what was new. There are a good range of lovely gift shops, eateries and all completely independent which to me is what makes Robin Hoods Bay so special. It is still a little piece of smuggler history with a family seaside spirit. Lots of nooks and crannies for smuggling luggers to hide their contraband.
Walking down the narrow streets we peered in the windows of a new (to me) chocolate shop called 'Browns'. The selection of confectionery was very impressive- ice cream and sweets were on show too. We hand selected a bag of mixed choccies for our reward once we made it to the top of Station Road- the steep hill back to the car.

Browns Chocolate Shop, Robin Hoods Bay

Browns chocolate heaven window, Robin Hoods Bay

Sitting on a bench at the top of the hill we looked out onto the sea and scoffed a few each. A champagne and almond. Whiskey, Baileys and Coconut flavours. White chocolate, Turkish Delight and Rose Cream. All delicious! After making ourselves decidedly sick, we headed on for Whitby and another adventure.

Browns chocolate, Robin Hoods Bay

Delicious chocolate treats, Robin Hoods Bay

Hazelnut, Browns, Robin Hoods Bay

White Chocolate, Browns RHB
Another memory to add to the bank. What a wonderful place to get some fresh air and comfort on a clear Autumn day followed by a lovely drive over the moors home!

Comments

  1. Hi,
    We have just bought Georgian House - lovely to hear your happy memories of the place - and we only live round the corner from you in Galphay!!
    Pip and John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment