Brown Bread Frozen Yogurt

Brown Bread Frozen Yogurt

My friend Jenny was coming over for a girl's night the other week and I felt a little under pressure as she just got a job as a cookery tutor at the famous Bettys Cookery School! How could I possibly entertain such a lady with all her food knowledge! I had to think outside the box and I knew she has a love for all kinds of dessert like no other woman. I settled on a delicious combination of healthy and naturally sweet, with the hope that our guilt would not raise it's ugly head after we ate the whole lot! Last time I ate with Jenny, we had a huge amount of Italian food and then followed it up with a five dessert taster plate shocker. I knew it had to be something good.

I found a recipe for brown bread ice cream, but made with frozen Greek yogurt and I eliminated the sugar content in the hope that a drizzle of honey would be enough to sweeten the deal. It was indeed.

Brown Bread Frozen Yogurt.

Ingredients

175g wholemeal bread crumbs
25g chopped walnuts
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
Grated rind of one orange
450ml unsweetened Greek Yogurt
2 large egg whites

Method

1. Preheat a grill and place your bread crumbs and walnuts (Grated or blitzed) under the heat for 3-5 mins, ensuring to toss them and brown evenly.
2.When cool, transfer to a bowl with the ground nutmeg, yogurt, orange rind and yogurt. Combine thoroughly.
3. In a separate very clean bowl, whisk your egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold them into the yogurt mixture with a clean dry metal spoon in a cut and fold motion. Avoid beating the mixture and knocking the air out the egg whites.
4. Spoon the mixture into four containers of your choice, and freeze for 2 hours.
5. To serve, remove from the freezer 20mins before to allow a little time to thaw and release easily from the container.
6. Turn out onto a plate and garnish with some walnuts, orange slices or a drizzle of honey.

Comments